Linux and fonts and Firefox and human-factors design

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 10:29:15 EST 2006

Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> writes:

> One of the reasons I exclusively use the IMAP protocol for email is the fact
> I can migrate my mailbox folder layouts to *any* IMAP client on different
> computers. With POP, you're kinda stuck with the computer and client you
> initially use.

I'm not sure I follow this logic.  What does the protocol used to
transport mail have to do with the underlying storage of the message?

I use fetchmail, it speaks pop and IMAP.  My messages are stored in
text files.  I can easily move my messages to any computer and client
I want with tar and scp.

I can also search my mail significantly faster with tools like find,
grep, and perl than I could with any exclusively IMAP-based client.

--
Seeya,
Paul