Linux and fonts and Firefox and human-factors design

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Nov 2 11:00:45 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 10:29 am, Paul Lussier wrote:
> I can easily move my messages to any computer and client
> I want with tar and scp.

You can move them.  With IMAP, he doesn't have to.  His folder structure and
server-side sorting rules work regardless of what client he connects from,
whether it be webmail on the road or a client on his PDA, or his laptop, or
hist desktop.  I don't want to move my whole mail folder store every time I
switch machines.

> I can also search my mail significantly faster with tools like find,
> grep, and perl than I could with any exclusively IMAP-based client.

This can happen server-side if the IMAP server is configured to allow
searching/sorting through the IMAP commands.