Wonderful world of new dists..

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 4 15:15:56 EST 2006

   Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:49:27 -0800
   From: "Thomas Charron" <twaffle at gmail.com>

     Apperently, kdelibs was either not installed, or needed to be recompiled.
   I made a change to my use flags, to allow Qt to support opengl, and

sounds like you forgot to emerge -N/revdep-rebuild

     I have no idea what a PORTDIR_OVERLAY is.

It's an absolute _necessity_ for any even slightly customized Gentoo
system.  PORTDIR_OVERLAY contains the path to an alternate/local/custom
software tree which gets virtually "overlaid" on the Portage tree.
You could put your own private/custom ebuilds in it.  But, for me,
it's basically where I put all your corrections to the all-too-often-flawed
ebuilds found in Gentoo.

   If none of the these work, try putting "-kde" from your USE
   > setting---like I do---and this problem should go away. :P

     Die, thnx.  ;-)  Gnome is like a utopian communist society.

Actually, I have "-kde -gnome" in $USE. :D

  Grr..  Ok, now I'm running, and trying to emerge things that say they're
'masked'.  Important things.  Like, the drivers for my HARDWARE!  ;-)

The conventional wisdom in Gentoo is that, if an ebuild is masked,
there's a reason for it.  (This isn't Debian you're running.)  Since
you're on amd64, it may be that some of the packages have not yet
reached "working" status.  It may also be that some of these masked
packages work, but just haven't been fully tested, yet.  In that case,
you might consider adding "~amd64" to your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to allow
the use of packages which someone, somewhere, for whatevr reason or
lack of reason, wants to call "in testing".

Your particular problem with ipw3945 is this line in the ebuild:

 KEYWORDS="~x86"

Which means (1) you need to research IF ipw3945 will really run on
amd64 (check the homepage), and (2) copy the ipw3945 ebuilds to
PORTDIR_OVERLAY, and add "amd64" (or "~amd64") to the KEYWORDS
variables.

Welcome to Gentoo, where you have... and MUST have... control over
everything!

BTW, you might also want to configure your mail client not to attach
HTML to&nbsp;all&nbsp;your&nbsp;posts.