Tivo vs MythTV (was: *pout* HDTV No Recordee....)

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Nov 8 08:36:18 EST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 8:43 PM, Ben Scott wrote:

>  Absolutely.  The thought of TV without a good DVR is totally
> unacceptable to me now.

It's obvious we don't have to sell you on the joys of PVR.

The question you asked was whether MythTV is as "Hands-Off" as Tivo,
and I think the answer is "No." While the tweaking involved is pretty
minor, there probably are a few more rough edges to work out.
Balancing that is the greater freedom you have to hack the code, the
hardware, change the storage, script in new functionality, etc., etc.
Tivo is only a proprietary video recorder and player, albeit a good
one. MythTV is a media center.

We are, after all, comparing a multi-million-dollar consumer
appliance with an unfunded open-source project. The fact that they
are of a comparable value is a remarkable tribute to the Open Source
process, imo.

>  That card is capture only, right?  So the TV/monitor will need VGA
> in, or the computer will need TV-video out, I take it?

Yes. I believe the higher-model cards have various Video-Out, S-
Video, HDMI, DVI and other acronyms, as do higher-end video cards.

>  Hrmmm.  It's the "mostly" that concerns me.  :)

Well, I haven't even read the manual yet. Some adjustments are
needed, and some education, but I've found it easy to install and
easy to operate.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com