Tivo vs MythTV (was: *pout* HDTV No Recordee....)

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Wed Nov 8 08:45:42 EST 2006

Ben Scott writes:
>   Those of you here who are already using MythTV, how do you find it
> works in day-to-day usage?

I've been using MythTV for about 2 years or so.  I like it alot better
than the tivo I had before that.  It has it's bugs, but they are
usually minor and can be worked around without too much trouble.

I really like the split model [backend + frontend(s)] which allows me
to have a fanless, diskless, no-moving-parts frontend computer for the
TV and a big server in the garage^H^H^H^H^H^H^H server-room.

Note you can get unencrypted HD off of Cable in addition to OTA.

My MythTV backend has a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 connected to the comcrap
set-top box and a pcHDTV HD-3000 connected direct to the comcrap coax.
The latter can do direct digital captures of all unencrypted channels (SD
and HD) with no conversion or recompression (direct MPEG2 to disk).

--
Dave