Tivo vs MythTV (was: *pout* HDTV No Recordee....)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Nov 8 09:11:24 EST 2006

>> We are, after all, comparing a multi-million-dollar consumer
>> appliance with an unfunded open-source project. The fact that they
>> are of a comparable value is a remarkable tribute to the Open Source
>> process, imo.
>
>  Absolutely.  I'm not trying to disparage MythTV.  I'm just trying to
> make a budget decision: Is an S3 TiVo worth the extra dollars to
> reduce the time-and-effort investment?  I'm starting to suspect the
> answer is "No".

Well I think it all depends on what exactly you're looking for. If
you want cablecard support for your premium channels and for it to
work seamlessly with your cable company, you're probably going to
want a TiVo. Also go with TiVo if you're looking for TiVo features
you can't get with MythTV (suggestions come to mind).

At least with MythTV to try it out all you really need is spare
equipment in order to at least get a feel for it and see if you like
it's feature set. No need to go out and buy a powerhouse computer and
HD tuner card. Just throw in a spare WinTV card you can usually get
for free from somebody not using one, or a few bucks at a computer show.

As a DirecTV user I'm kind of stuck with either tying my receiver
into a MythTV box somehow, or sticking with the DirecTV DVR. I'm
currently using my DirecTiVo that I hacked in order to get more space
and more features (such as TiVoWeb and tyserver to pull shows off it).