Tivo vs MythTV (was: *pout* HDTV No Recordee....)

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Wed Nov 8 09:44:01 EST 2006

Ben Scott writes:
> > Note you can get unencrypted HD off of Cable in addition to OTA.
>
>   Any idea how many unencrypted HD channels there are?

Every broadcast channel.  In my case that's the HD versions of: 2, 4,
5, 7, 9, 25, 38 last I checked

In addition, comcast sends 2 version of the analog channels over the
coax.  An analog version for for people without set-top boxes and a
digital SD version for people with digital set-top boxes.

The set-top box actually uses the digital version.  When you tell it
to tune to say channel 5, it picks up the digital version of channel 5
instead of the analog version.  This eliminates the 'fuzzy' problems
you get with low signal strength or interference.

The pcHDTV card can get the unencrypted SD digital version too.

This allows me to avoid the "digital [coax] -> set-top box -> analog
[composite] -> capture card -> digital" conversion of the Hauppauge
Card. MythTV only uses the Hauppauge card if there is a conflict or for
channels that are encrypted.

--
Dave