Tivo vs MythTV

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Wed Nov 8 13:31:34 EST 2006

Paul Lussier writes:
> Dave Johnson <dave-gnhlug at davej.org> writes:
> > You can also just plug in the coax to a HDTV with a digital tuner and
> > get the same result.
>
> Hmm, I didn't know that.  How do I find the HD channels?  When I tune
> my TV to the channel number advertised by Comcast, I get a black
> screen. Presumably that number is only meaningful to their box.

Sorry, should have said 'have the same issue' instead of 'get the same
result'.

Without a cable card (that's a differnt issue) you have the same
channel numbering problem.  Remember that ATSC and QAM both allow
multiple subchannels per frequency band.  You can get about 2 HD and
about 12 SD channels per frequency band.

At least on my HDTV (Samsung), channels are represented by
<channel>-<subchannel> so PBS is on 87-1 or something like that even
though comcast maps it as 802.  Something else is on 87-2 and so
forth. Just doing a full scan in the TV's tuner setup will pick up
everything (including all the encrypted channels, but those are
blank).

--
Dave