Transportable HDD recommendations or warnings

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Nov 8 16:01:40 EST 2006

>> ...and for my follow-up (not that anybody asked) I'm happy
>> to report that I was able to back-port USB support from the
>> kernel.org/2.4.33 sources into the RHEL3 2.4.21-ish sources
>> and, so far, it's looking pretty stable.
>
>That's great. Now, is this USB for storage devices or for HID (Human
>Interface Devices) support, or are they all the same? IIRC I needed
>USB/HID support for an APC UPS with a USB connection and a machine
>somewhat stuck at 2.4.21...

I'm not sure I understand your question; the problem we were
seeing was that the box would wedge tightly while accessing
Storage devices, but after a lot of analysis it became clear
to me that the ehci-hcd module was likely the primary culprit.
The acronyms in that module's name refer to "Extended Host
Controller Interface" (the USB 2.0 implementation) and "Host
Controller Device" which means the system's interface to the
root hub.  Logic in that module is not specific to any class
of device such as HID or Storage.