XML quote Re: Meeting Notes: SLUG Mon 14 Nov - Google Earth and everything else

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:33:06 EST 2006

>   "XML is for people who don't understand Scheme."  (not my quote,
> that just seems like such good flamewar fodder that I had to pass it
> along)

There's nothing new under the sun. Each generation thinks they
invented sex and fast square root algorithms.

I've said for years, if LISP stands for Lots of Invidious Silly
Parentheses,   ><ML has twice as many bent-til-they-snapped brackets
and usesancient  ENDIF syntax, as if syntax-aware editors couldn't
handle closing-brace-match.

The advantages of XML are that (a) people without a Lisp can get a
parser without getting a Lisp parser (b) Marketing thinks it's great.

Another old quote -- every non-trivial application has a non-trivial
subset of a Lisp interpretter (and/or Fortran library) embedded, but
implemented badly.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com