Fios. Was: Re: Comcast Alternatives? Was Re: Why must Comcast's DNS suck?

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Wed Nov 15 12:36:33 EST 2006

I just recently switched from Adelphia "Power Link" (now Comcast) to
FIOS and in short,
I like it. I haven't had it long enough to know how reliable it is, but,
the IP has changed once
in the less that 1/2 month it's been installed. The router Verizon
supplies is made by "Action Tech"
which seems to be very capable. All I've done with it so far is forward
ports 22(ssh) and 81(http)
to my linux box. According to the Verizon installer (who was very
willing to chat about the technology
and seemed to be excited about it personally) other routers can be used
and there is not problem
with that unless you want support. They will only support the router
they provide. I was originally
going to replace it with a LinkSYS running DD-WRT but have since decided
to keep the action tech
as it does pretty much everything I need. I use a linksys wrt54g wunning
dd-wrt (small version for
ver 5 router) to provide wireless in the house instead of the action
tech (which has a wireless interface
too).

One thing I noticed about the action tech is a configuration screen for
Dynamic DNS updates.
This is something I'd  been meaniung to do for some time so I created an
account with DynDNS and
the action tech router sent an update after entered the info into its
config etc. Cool I thought until
recently when my IP changed. I presumed the router would autonomously
update DynDNS; it did not.
It updated when I manually told it to send an update. Seems like an IP
change should trigger an
update. Anyone else notice this?

Oh, BTW - The Verizon Web page thingy that tells you if FIOS is
available was not accurate for my
location. It told me it was not available, but, when I called to b*tch
about something else the verizon
person asked if I was interested in FIOS. I thought about it for
.00001ms and said yes. I had my
doubts until one day later that week there was a fibre drop strung along
side the copper drop.

_Andrew Gaunt