resetting saved lines in an Xterm?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Nov 15 13:10:05 EST 2006

>> Nope - that doesn't clear the scrollback history.
>
> It does on every xterm I've ever used.  It may not if you are using
> some funky xterm replacement, or if you have TERM set incorrectly
> as is quite common.

I'm using "the" xterm (and, no - not in the way that
Karl Rove had access to "the" poll numbers) and I
claim that there's nothing funky going on with my rig:

 ######## fleagle:~ 1468---> xterm -version
 XFree86 4.3.99.5(179)
 ######## fleagle:~ 1469---> type xterm
 xterm is hashed /usr/bin/xterm
 ######## fleagle:~ 1470---> rpm -qf /usr/bin/xterm
 xterm-179-6.EL3
 ######## fleagle:~ 1471---> echo $TERM
 xterm

...and although that "reset" app (which is basically just
the "tset" app) does send an escape sequence that clears
the screen and puts certain things back to their initial
states, it definitely doesn't clear the scrollback history,
which is still viewable via Shift+PageUp or the mousewheel
or the menubar slider thingy as always.

FWIW, I've been using "the" xterm (as opposed to color
xterm or rcvxt [sp?]  or the Gnome thingy or the KDE
thingy, etc...)  and this has always been true, AFAIK.