LMV Snapshots

klussier at comcast.net klussier at comcast.net
Thu Nov 16 12:48:17 EST 2006

From: mike ledoux <mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 05:25:47PM +0000, klussier at comcast.net wrote:

> > Nov 16 12:00:04 postal kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> > Nov 16 12:00:04 postal kernel: EXT3 FS on dm-3, internal journal
> > Nov 16 12:00:05 postal kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-3: 109 orphan inodes deleted
> > Nov 16 12:00:05 postal kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> > Nov 16 12:00:05 postal kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
> mode.
>
> I've seen this sort of thing when the snapshot was made while writes
> were happening on that filesystem.  Are you sure nothing is writing
> to that FS when the snapshot is taken?

No, I'm not sure. The whole point of LVM snapshots is to be able to back up a filesystem without compromising availability. At least that is what RedHat claims, anyway. The whole point of this is to a backup of a filesystem without having to shut down the services. Does this not work as advertised?

Thanks,
Kenny