LMV Snapshots

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Nov 16 13:38:05 EST 2006

This seems like a case of the system working as (the designers)
intended.  You asked for a "snapshot" (i.e.  the current state
of all bits on that device) and that's what you're getting:
that snapshot is pretty much the same as you'd get if you reset
the computer on-the-fly without unmounting that filesystem.
OK, so you're using a journalling filesystem - good - but
they're only expected to maintain metadata consistency,
not file-data consistency.  Keeping the metadata consistent
sometimes involves (during the next mount or fsck operation)
replaying the transaction journal (or [I think] rolling back
any transactions that can't be fully committed) and various
other bits of housekeeping necessary to repair the damage,
with scary messages like these generated in the process.
But unless the filesystem infrastructure is cooperating with
you by quiesceing while the snapshot is created, it sounds
like you're seeing what I'd expect to see in this situation.