Kill-a-watt devices

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Tue Nov 28 20:13:46 EST 2006

Tom Buskey writes:

> $33 http://www.invertersrus.com/killawatt.html
> $21 http://www.sustainabilitysystems.com/products.php?cat=8
>

> Measures:
>
> # Cumulative kWh over time (using built in timer)
> # Watts (active power)
> # VA (apparent power)
> # Volts
> # Current (amps)
> # Frequency (hertz)
> # Power Factor
>
> 1875VA limit
> 15 A limit.
>
> I googled a review that said it showed 0.06 kWh after 2 hours for a TV.
>
> I'd imagine the utility co's unit has a higher amp rating.

I have a kill-a-watt too.  The only thing (besides a computer
interface) I don't like about it is the lack of battery backed or
otherwise persistant cumulative usage.  Every time you unplug it or
power goes out the totals are lost, but that's what you get for the
price.

There are other alterntives but a bit more expensive.  The 'Watts Up'
and 'Watts Up Pro' go for about $100-$200 but have more features
including persistant logging.

See: https://www.doubleed.com/products.html

--
Dave