Apt dependency hell

Roger H. Goun roger at bcah.com
Wed Nov 29 14:23:41 EST 2006

We're back in business. We hand-edited /var/lib/dpkg/available to
eliminate MySQL 4.1 dependencies, hand-installed an up-to-date
mysql-common deb snarfed from another dapper system, apt-get installed
the rest of the current MySQL packages, and enabled MySQL in PHP5. Simple.

Going back to 4.1 would have required installing from source. Dapper's
repository no longer contains a compatible mysql-common.

Apt still thinks we have the wrong mysql-common installed. Sigh.

The irony is that our apps appear to work fine on MySQL 5.

-- Roger