APT the system vs. front-ends [ was Apt dependency hell ]

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:16:06 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> So yes, both apt-get and aptitude use the "renowned apt package
> management infrastructure", but that infrastructure doesn't
> necessarilly provide all the logic required to deal with all
> dependency issues or package manipulation options.

  Ahhhhh.  I see.  Makes sense.  Thanks.

  I will say that I still find apt-get (the tool, not the religion) to
be superior to yum in several respects.  While it keeps improving, yum
is still dog slow (no pun intended) for many operations.  apt-get has
more built-in features, and also has more add-ons, wrappers, and such
available.

  It would have been nice if APT was what the RPM world settled on
(especially since RPM support already existed for APT).  Then at least
we'd only have to worry about dpkg, RPM, and APT.  >sigh<

-- Ben