No subject

Sat Oct 14 20:46:50 EDT 2006

and proud to have paid, and to be continuing to pay, for a subscription -
LWN is worth supporting!).  Bruce Perens, interviewed at the Colorado
Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE) this week, has been considering a
"community-driven answer to Red Hat's enterprise products".

  "'I'm wondering if it's time for a grass-roots enterprise Linux, and
  the way I figured I would do this... is first of all take Debian, why
  is there a Fedora project when there's Debian, a ten-year-old project
  with all its policies done...with over a thousand developers?  That
  is what the Fedora project should be.  Take that, and get together the
  community of enterprise users who depend on Linux and really want a
  zero-cost enterprise distribution.
      [...]
  I'm thinking about whether it is time for the community... to provide
  directly a Linux distro ceritified to LSB and to proprietary software
  providers that are willing to do so, guaranteed to be free software
  and free beer, free speech and free beer.  A certified distribution
  that is zero cost, free software... and I'm convinced that creating
  a Linux distribution is an expense-sharing system rather than a
  profit-making system, even Red Hat now admits this as they attempt
  to offload production of their distribution to the community.'"

[Later on Perens decribes his scale for commercial collaborators with
the community.  It ranges from benefactor, through partner, and user,
to parasite.  Very sapient.  (Guess who rates "parasite"?)]