Problem with autofs on linux.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Oct 2 14:51:01 EDT 2006

On Monday, Oct 2nd 2006 at 14:13 -0400, quoth Paul Lussier:

=>Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> writes:
=>
=>> It's been a *loooooooong* time since I've played with autmounter
=>> and/or autofs, so, I may be completely mis-remembering here:
=>>
=>> auto.master:
=>>   /usr/local/viasat       /etc/auto.viasat
=>>
=>> auto.viasat
=>>   *       -ro             bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat
=>>
=>> You might also want to make sure there is a /usr/local/viasat mount point?
=>
=>Yep, I just checked the Evi book, I was wrong. What you want, as Matt
=>said, is a mountpoint which autofs can completely control itself.  So,
=>you want something like:
=>
=> auto.master:
=>   /usr/local/viasat       /etc/auto.viasat
=>
=> auto.viasat
=>   foo       -ro             bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat/foo
=>   bar       -ro             bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat/bar
=>   baz       -ro             bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat/baz
=>
=>Which, I believe, can be shortened to:
=>
=> auto.master:
=>   /usr/local/viasat       /etc/auto.viasat
=>
=> auto.viasat
=>   *       -ro             bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat/&
=>
=>But you definitely want that top-level directory for a mountpoint that
=>autofs can muck with.

One thing I did see in the man pages was the idea of a direct map where
the first entry in the auto.master is /-, a la

/-	/etc/auto.direct

Then in auto.direct you say

/usr/local/viasat	bos-srv-lnx:/usr/local/viasat

Great idea but it doesn't work. The automounter initializes itself but if
you try to access /usr/local/viasat there's nothing there. :-(

steveo at syslang.net