CentraLUG meeting of 2-October-2006

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Tue Oct 3 10:18:01 EDT 2006

Seven attendees made it to last night's CentraLUG meeting.

Thanks to Bill Sconce for providing the projector adnt eh New
Hampshire Technical Institute for providing the facilities. I started
with welcome, announcements and a round of introductions, including
two members at their first CentraLUG meeting.

I provided a brief tour of the GNHLUG wiki, focusing on the many rich
links and notes available for past meetings. We had several
discussions about presentation topics we'd like to see (Asterisk [1]
and MythTV) and some recommendations for a content management system
(pointing to the notes from last month's Joomla presentation [3] at
DLSLUG and an earlier presentation on Xaraya. [4]) We also noted a
mis-dated upcoming item in the calendar and corrected it. And updated
the next MonadLUG topic with its MPOM topic.

Following that, we had some discussion on remote, secure access into
other machines. There was a recent announcement of NX Server being
released as Open Source, and I followed up on that with some
investigation into installation and configuration of NX Server on
Linux and NX Client/Node on Windows and Linux machines. Tonight we
were able to log into a KDE session on my company server while
running an Ubuntu/Gnome session on the machine at the LUG.
Performance was certainly acceptable if not snappy.  A brief slide
summary here [2]

As is usually the case, we had to wrestle with the projector. It was
easy compared with Lloyd's successful struggles at PySIG. I have my
ThinkPad hooked up to an external 1280x768 monitor, and the X server
seemed determined to maintain that resolution, despite protestations
from the projector. At one point, we had only the left half of the
display, on the right half of the screen. Moving the projector didn't
help ;). Ctrl-Alt-F1 into a tty session and Ctrl-Alt-F7 back into X
popped the display into correct alignment. Go figure.

So, I'd welcome a future presentation on easy, fast and simple X
reconfiguration :)

We agreed to pursue a couple of presentations on Asterisk and MythTV.
Stay tuned for future announcements.  Next meeting, November 5th,
NHTI Library room 146, 7 PM. Hope to see you there!

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/
msg14629.html
[2] http://www.tedroche.com/Present/2006/nx.html
[3] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.gnhlug/6799