SLUG meeting tonight at 7pm in Morse Hall rm 301 Durham, NH

Robert E. Anderson rea at sr.unh.edu
Mon Oct 9 10:00:01 EDT 2006

                What is This Lojban Thing?

          October 9, 2006 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
             UNH Morse Hall conference room 301

    What if the language we speak affects how we think?  If that's
    true, what if we spoke a language that had a basis in logic?
    Would it lead to more logical thought?  "Lojban", a language based
    on predicate logic with an unambiguous grammar, is the second
    generation of a language conceived to answer those questions.

This presentation will start with a basic introduction to the Lojban
language (http://www.lojban.org)*, covering** the language's grammar,
semantics, history, and its relation to the predicate calculus.

Because the Lojban language is grammatically unambiguous, it is
ideally suited to interaction with computers.  Linux software related
to Lojban will be demonstrated, including a Lojban grammar parser,
Lojban speech synthesizers, a Lojban-English translator, Lojban
computer games, and various Lojban media such as music, poems, and
podcasts in the Lojban language.

This presentation is free (as in free beer) and open to the public.

(* An independent presentation, this talk is neither an official
function of, nor endorsed by the Logical Language Group, Inc.)
(** Content subject to change without notice.  Always consult your
doctor before learning a new language.  May cause headache, dizziness,
and increased intelligence.  Not to be combined with any other offer.)

 Robert E. Anderson  		 	email: rea at sr.unh.edu
 Systems Programmer			phone: (603) 862-3489
 UNH Research Computing Center		  fax: (603) 862-1761