PySIG next Thursday (26 Oct 2006) - Lambda expressions! meld! SciTE! Subversion! Cookies!

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu Oct 19 11:48:32 EDT 2006

PySIG -- New Hampshire Python Special Interest Group
Amoskeag Business Incubator, Manchester, NH
26 October 2006 (4th Thursday)   7:00PM

Python Development Tools -- meld, SciTE, Subversion
Lambda expressions

The monthly meeting of PySIG, the New Hampshire Python Special Interest
Group, happens on the fourth Thursday of the month, starting at 7:00 PM.
Beginners' session starts at 6:30 PM.  Bring a Python question!

At this meeting we'll begin the often-requested "Python development
series", with the specific topics of source-code differencing (using
meld - an excellent development tool in its own right, written in
Python!), how to integrate tools such as meld into the SciTE editor.
In other words, one way to start complementing and moving beyond the
interactive Python window.  Time permitting, we'll demonstrate similar
integration of revision control:  Subversion checkins and Subversion
diffs.  Presented by Bill Sconce (recovering Eclipse user).

Kent's Korner (Module of the Month) will be lambda expressions, hosted
this month by Mr. Python, Lloyd Kvam of Venix Corp.

And also our usual roundtable of introductions, happenings, and
announcements.  And of course, milk & cookies...

7:00 Welcome, Announcements - Ted Roche
7:10 Milk & Cookies - Lloyd, Janet
7:15 Kent's Korner (Module of the Month) -- lambda expressions - Lloyd
7:45 Meld/Scite/Subversion - Bill
9:00 Adjourn

About PySIG:
PySIG meetings are typically 10-20 people, around a large table
equipped with a projector, power, and Internet hookup (wired and
wireless).  We encourage laptops and hands-on;  seminar style.
The main meeting starts at 7 PM and we finish around 9 PM.
Everyone is welcome.  Tell your friends!

Beginners' session:
This month (October 2006) we try a suggestion from last meeting:
The half hour before the formal meeting (i.e., starting at 6:30PM)
we have a beginners' session.  Any Python question is welcome --
whoever asks the first question gets the half hour!  Questions are
equally welcome by mail beforehand (in which case we can announce
them) or at the meeting.  As are all Python questions, at all times.

About Python:
"Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can
be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong
support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with
extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days.
Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and
feel the language encourages the development of higher quality,
more maintainable code."
"NASA uses Python...so does Rackspace, Industrial Light&Magic,
AstraZeneca, Honeywell, and many others."
"Python has been an important part of Google since the beginning,
and remains so as the system grows and evolves." - Peter Norvig
http://www.python.org

About Amoskeag Business Incubator:
Our gracious hosts are the Amoskeag Business Incubator, an
organization providing a supportive entrepreneurial environment
that stimulates the growth of businesses to ensure economic
vitality and encourage job creation, by providing affordable
office space and technical assistance to early stage companies.
PySIG thanks the ABI for their generous hospitality.
http://www.abi-nh.com

Directions:
PySIG NH meetings are held at the Amoskeag Business Incubator,
33 South Commercial Street, Manchester, NH.

Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the north:
o Use Exit 6 from I-293.  Don't go around & over at the exit, but
bear as straight as possible to the stop sign.

o At the stop sign turn left (south).  A Hospital sign points to
the south.  There are several service stations, and a Dunkin across
from them.  Follow this street south all the way to Granite Street.
(You're following one street, but it has several names:  Eddy Road
first; eventually it becomes Main Street.)  It goes by Catholic
Medical Center.

o At Granite Street there's a second Dunkin opposite.
Turn left (east).  Go under I-293 and cross the bridge over the
Merrimack River.

Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the south:
o Use the Granite Street exit.  Turn right (east).
Go under I-293 and cross the bridge over the Merrimack River.

o Turn right (south) at the first light after crossing the bridge.
This is Commercial Street.

o Go past one parking-lot entrance, turn right into the second one.
33 Commercial Street will be right in front of you.  You may go in
via either the ramp or the door and three steps inside.

o Inside.  Up the stairs if via the door.  Go through the glass
doors - follow the diamonds on the floor.  Go left at the last
diamond.   (Under a sign which says "<- Amoskeag Small Bus.
Incubator").

o More diamonds, another sign...  much glass and office space for
SNHU; turn left there, 4 more diamonds and you're at the glass doors
for the Incubator.  An "abi" sign is above.

o Through the doors, straight down the hall.  The ABI Conference
Room is on the left.