Seperating networks

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Fri Oct 20 06:27:29 EDT 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 20:47, Steven C. Peterson uttered thusly:
> I currently use a Linux box running Clark Connect to run my network,
> this box supply's a modified Linksys wrt54g to provide my wireless
> services that said most of my devices run on the wireless, the wrt54g
> pulls dhcp provided by the Linux box, I am unaware of what software
> Clark connect uses to run the dhcp server.
>
> My question is Along with my devices and my roommates devices i have
> some other people who pay me to provide inter net to them (We co-op in
> to a pair of bonded t1 lines), i would like to separate my network from
> every body else's, (I.E. I do not want them to see my printers and
> shared folders, nor do i want to see theirs.)
>
> Any suggestions other than putting another router in place?
>
> Steve

Well, you could put your network on a different subnet. For instance, if they
are on 192.168.0.0/24, you could set yours up to be 192.168.1.0/24. That's
low-grade security-wise, as they would still see the packets with a sniffer,
but I take it that's not an issue.

You may also have to configure Linux to be a bridge between those two subnets
so you can still get out through the router. Or you may be able to configure
the router to handle it (doubtful). You can also set up your Linux box to be
a DHCP server for that network. The trick here will be to keep their
computers from latching on to YOUR DHCP server, but I think there's a way to
do that.

Your other option is to set up a VPN. That would afford you higher security,
but is a lot more difficult to do unless you are experienced. And if you
have a printer that's connected directly to the network, the VPN option is
out, anyway. Usually only high-end printers are connected directly, but I
don't know what your set up is.

Quite frankly, I think it would be much easier for you to put another router
in place. Considering how low-cost routers are today, and considering the
headaches you'd encounter for trying to set up another subnet on the same
wired/wireless network. Just save yourself the time. Your 2nd router,
assuming it wireless as well, you'd want to use WEP encryption to keep
anyone from just logging on to it.

Perhaps someone else have better ideas?

-Fred