Apache2 troubleshooting

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 10:31:26 EDT 2006

Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> writes:

> Or you can install and set up Nagios, but
> that could be overkill just for doing simple monitoring. Too much time to
> muck about with the fancy tools when a simple command-line script will do.
>
> Yes, you can tell I am very much into the KISS principle.

Another fun toolset is the BSD accounting stuff.  Enable it in the
kernel, then use the tools sa, sar, etc. to see what processes are
doing what, when, and for how long.  These are good to see what else
was going on at the same time something else occured.  For instance,
if you know apache died at 03:21:45, you can use sa to search for
other stuff that was running at the same time.
--
Seeya,
Paul