Identifying an ext3 file given a block or inode

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Oct 27 13:42:27 EDT 2006

On Friday, Oct 27th 2006 at 12:13 -0400, quoth Michael ODonnell:

=>
=>When looking at the output of fsck as it works on a wounded
=>ext3 filesystem I'm wishing I knew which files are associated
=>with the duplicate blocks and corrupted inodes it's reporting.
=>It seems that I recall somebody here recently mentioning a tool
=>that could figure out that sort of thing but I can't find the
=>msg in either my own archives or on www.gnhlug.org
=>
=>I do know about this:
=>
=>   find /fubar -inum 123445
=>
=>...for finding files by their inode number, but thought I'd
=>heard mention of a more sophisticated, ext3-specific tool.

If you're looking for ext{2,3} related tools look at debugfs, dumpe2fs,
filefrag. filefrag looks promising but this should be enough to get you
started.

This is the whole set of executables that come with the package:

/sbin/badblocks
/sbin/blkid
/sbin/debugfs
/sbin/dumpe2fs