Latest shenanigans with rcn

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Sep 5 11:08:01 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, Sep 5th 2006 at 10:11 -0400, quoth Jerry Feldman:

=>On Tuesday 05 September 2006 9:16 am, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> On Tuesday, Sep 5th 2006 at 08:19 -0400, quoth Jerry Feldman:
=>>
=>> =>On Monday 04 September 2006 2:10 pm, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> =>> I pay an extra $20/month for what they call a static IP address. It's
=>> =>> still served up via dhcp and the address comes from their dynamic
=>> address =>> pool, but it doesn't change. The real reason for getting it
=>> though is so =>> that they open up incoming 80 and outgoing 25.
=>> =>>
=>> =>> Recenetly I noticed that they are throttling my outbound mail. I'm
=>> =>> getting 400 series codes saying 'Too many connections.' The queue
=>> will =>> process after about 20 minutes. I have a list of large domains
=>> who will =>> not accept mail from me because myu address is coming from a
=>> dynamic =>> address pool, so those domains have to route through RCN's
=>> server. =>>
=>> =>> I have a trouble ticket in with them. We shall see. :-(
=>> =>Are you using RCN's smtp server as a relayhost?
=>>
=>> I use RCN as a relay for all domains that reject mail from my server
=>> because it's in a dynamic address pool. That would include big players
=>> like comcast, redhat, earthlink, juno, etc...
=>Then let me restate. Are you receiving the 400 series codes from the RCN
=>SMTP server or from other servers. I know that Comcast has a fixed limit of
=>outgoing email per day per customer. RCN could very well be enforcing this
=>policy.

I am routing all the email that I send that will not be accepted from my
server through RCN's smtp server. So yes, the 400 series code is coming
from RCN. RCN has no limit on the number of messages per day that are
being sent. What I am experiencing is that there seems to be a delay of
around 15 or 20 minutes resulting from a 400 series code. (400 means "not
now. try again later.) The actual text that I get back from RCN is "Too
many connections".

Am I making sense?