Latest shenanigans with rcn

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Sep 5 12:01:02 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, Sep 5th 2006 at 11:33 -0400, quoth Jerry Feldman:

=>On Tuesday 05 September 2006 11:06 am, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I am routing all the email that I send that will not be accepted from my
=>> server through RCN's smtp server. So yes, the 400 series code is coming
=>> from RCN. RCN has no limit on the number of messages per day that are
=>> being sent. What I am experiencing is that there seems to be a delay of
=>> around 15 or 20 minutes resulting from a 400 series code. (400 means "not
=>> now. try again later.) The actual text that I get back from RCN is "Too
=>> many connections".
=>>
=>> Am I making sense?
=>Yes. My thoughts are either the RCN smtp servers are simply very busy, or
=>they are limiting the number of emails a single customer can upload either
=>on a per hour or per day basis. One of the reasons that they might do this
=>is to prevent possible SPAM coming from their subscribers. I don't recall
=>the code I received from Comcast, but I was able to simply retarget.

I guess my issue goes like this: If they want to limit people's rates then
that's fine with me. At the very least they need to tell me what the
parameters are. How many per hour, what's the delay. etc. But there's
more. I pay extra for the priviledge of running a server. I'm not running
anything commercial and I'm not advertising pern on the Howard Stern show.
The volumes that come to me are respectable. All email is text based with
no attachments and with a daily average of < 10K messages per day. The web
traffic is *very* low. I guess I'm just grousing, but I layed it out here
so people would at least hear about it.