COX blocking own users outbound email

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Sep 6 15:23:01 EDT 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 20:48, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> In fact officers of a public company could possibly even be sued if
> they
> did so, since it would cost money and that could be in conflict with
> their fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders

That's an excuse people use who don't want to do something. :)  e.g.
Apple isn't going to be sued by their stockholders for using decent
switches on their iPods so they don't wear out after a couple months.
They could - it would save short-term money - but the long-term costs
are higher.  You can justify most anything you want to do with
long-term benefits.

But more to the point, would you support monetizing the ISP's anti-spam
market so they're interested?  For instance, have a standard ISP
account for $34.95 which includes 100 e-mails per day and a $89.95
account which includes 1000 e-mails per day and a $350 account which
includes unlimited e-mails and then charge the user $0.05 per e-mail
sent over their account limit?

This kind of setup would monetize spam for both the zombie's owner and
the ISP, in the right direction for both.  The guy who's going to lose
out is the small-time e-mail newsletter writer who's going to have to
get himself a $20/mo account from a server vendor.  I can make that
trade-off.

-Bill
-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/