email redirection question

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Sep 8 08:15:01 EDT 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 10:26 pm, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Dan Coutu <coutu at snowy-owl.com> wrote:

> > ... or share the /var/spool/mail directory between the two systems.
>
>   My recommendation is to never do this.  Unix has somewhat... quaint
> ideas about file locking, and is very inconsistent in their usage.
> I'm told a shared mail spool *can* be done, if you get all the planets
> lined up right (i.e., used a carefully selected set of software, which
> all agrees on a locking mechanism, make sure nobody uses any other
> software, make sure nobody can change the software config with regard
> to locking mechanism, use the right NFS parameters, make sure the NFS
> server, NFS client, C library, etc. implement it all correctly,
> sacrifice a goat, etc.), but even then, all it takes is one mis-step
> and everything goes to hell.
I've seen sharing of the  /var/spool/mail directory work reasonably well,
especially in a situation where user directories are also exported via NFS.
NFS has been used very successfully to provide directories shared between
different client systems. We currently have users home directories exported
to Linux (RHEL 4, SLES10, Debian), HP-UX, Tru64 Unix, FreeBSD, and Open VMS
with clients on x86, x86_64, and IA64. We don't permit email from those
systems, but there is a very heavy use of NFS between those systems.

Generally, it is important that the file locking mechanism is consistent.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group