Sendmail 'Too many connections' problem

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Sep 9 18:14:00 EDT 2006

I run linux/sendmail-8.13.8 at home to host my domain. Some domains will
not accept mail from me because my address is from a dynamic address pool
so I solved that problem by placing all of those domains in my mailertable
and now route those messages through my ISP(RCN). Recently I have noticed
that some of the mail is hanging for a while with 400 series messages
saying 'Too many connections'. I check with RCN and after many wasted
hours on hold I found out that I need to limit the maximum number of
connections to their SMTP server to 4. Four shall be the counting. Five is
too many and six is right out!

Can someone please tell me what the incantation is to limit the number of
simultaneous connections to a particular server?

TIA.