PySIG meeting of 28 September 2006: Byte codes and TurboGears

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Fri Sep 29 17:24:00 EDT 2006

Ten folks attended the September Python Special Interest Group and
munched on cookies from Janet.

I mc'ed the meeting as Bill had the first of two presentations. We
hurried through a quick set of announcements, including the upcoming
GBC ACM AJAX event, CentraLUG, DLSLUG and Hosstraders. Bill talked
about a gotcha about tuples being immutable lists and we agreed...
it's still a gotcha.

Bill presented Python byte codes and shows how the dis module could
be used to disassemble the byte code produced from a python module:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-dis.html

and showed the constants. kent pointed out that the byte code map
changes a bit from version to version, and is probably completely
inapplicable for PyPy and Jython. Bill also showed off the byteplay
module, which allows manipulation of the byte codes:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/ByteplayDoc

Our second presentation was by Lloyd Kvam of Venix Corp in Lebanon.
Lloyd presented TurboGears, a web framework for Python which combines
modules like CherryPy web functions, Kid templating, SQLobjects
(optionally, SQLAlchemy) Objection-Relational Mapper with TurboGears
providing the glue (via decorators) to create web applications. Lloyd
ran into troubles getting the X server on his laptop to synch with
the projector, so we had an impromptu lesson on X-forwarding and
learned what a strange key mapping Bill Sconce keeps on his laptop.
Thanks to everyone present for their patience and ingenuity in
getting it to work and to Lloyd for picking up where he left off. We
got to look at a fair amount of code and got some ideas what the
framework can do.

http://www.turbogears.org for more info.

Thanks to Lloyd and Bill for their presentations, to Janet for the
cookies, and to the Amoskeag Business Incubator for providing the
great facilities!

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com