IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 21:59:35 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
>> As a result of the mythfest install, my computer was setup with FC6.
>
>  I might argue that should be "In spite of the mythfest install...".  ;-)

I was trying to be nice. :)  Actually lots of stuff (myth) is still
broken...  I did get it to work for a while though - I actually had OTA
HD recording going...  No audio yet, and my streamzap remote is not
being interpreted.  The subject of other emails...

>> I do know that my router does not like to pass through IPv6 info, so
>> I am
>> suspecting something like this.
>
>  You can disable IPv6 networking by editing the file
> </etc/sysconfig/network> and changing or adding the line
> <NETWORKING_IPV6=no>.  Then run <service network restart>.  (Don't
> type the angle brackets in any of this.)  You will need root
> privileges for this, so use "su", "sudo", etc., as needed.)

I'll try that in a couple minutes.

>> Are there some tools I can use to determine what is actually happening?
>
>  Dave's (aluminumsulfate) suggestions are good.  You may also want to
> compare the times for the following commands:

Dave?  The last couple of emails were with Paul... ???

> host liberty.gnhlug.org

anywhere between 22-56ms.  host doesn't seem to generate stats like ping.
> ping -n 199.125.75.42

35 packets transmitted, 25 received, 28% packet loss
rtt min/avg/max/mdev  38.747/46.117/72.72/6.9 ms

> ping -n liberty.gnhlug.org

33 packets transmitted, 29 received, 12% packet loss
rtt min/avg/max/mdev 39.18/44.4/62.25/4.7 ms