IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 22:35:35 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> host liberty.gnhlug.org
>>
>> anywhere between 22-56ms.  host doesn't seem to generate stats like
>> ping.
>
>  You can use "time host", if needed, but for this, we're generally
> interested in time scales which humans can easily judge.  Like, "this
> takes ten seconds, that is less than one second".
>
>> 35 packets transmitted, 25 received, 28% packet loss
>
>  Ouch.  28% is huge.  Ideally, it should be zero.

I know.  That's why I mentioned it.

>  Try ping'ing your router: ping -n 192.168.1.1
>
>  If ping'ing the router also results in high packet loss, you have a
> LAN problem.  Usually, that means a bad cable or port.  Occasionally,
> it's a config issue.

I think you may have a winner.  I can see the crimp in the cable from
here...  Damn that long cable keeps on getting shorter and shorter.
I'll have to cut it and install another connector.

34 packets transmitted, 27 received, 20% packet loss !!!
>  If ping'ing the router is fine but ping'ing liberty results in high
> packet loss, the problem is in your router, or upstream of same (i.e.,
> your ISP is having issues).  You might compare a few different hosts
> (e.g., liberty.gnhlug.org, www.unh.edu, www.google.com) to be sure.
>
>  Since you mentioned other computers on your LAN, compare command
> results between computers, too.

My wireless is effectively instantaneous.  Nah, I'll ping it.
Packets sent 50, received 49, Lost 1.    Lots better than 20% on a wire!!!

Thanks.