DHCP, domain names, private LANs (was: IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?)

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Apr 2 14:46:42 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:

> DHCP servers can provide a parent domain and/or a hostname.  I know
> Comcast hands out a domain name; I dunno about the hostname.  Some
> networks do hand out both.  What the DHCP client does with those is up
> to the client implementation.

Comcast also hands out a hostname comprised of the ip number.
I ignore both its hostname and its DNS hosts as I run my own DNS anyways,
for much the same reason that Ben does.

> Maybe his router isn't handing out
> *any* domain name, and so Fedora is filling in a default (I don't know
> if that's how Fedora works, but it sounds plausible).  None of those
> are necessarily a problem, although they could be, depending on
> details.

In my somewhat limited experience with Fedora, that sounds right.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951