SPDIF support

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Fri Apr 6 11:52:34 EDT 2007

Hi all -

Tax return time has hit, and one of the things I'm looking at doing is
finally replacing my computer speakers.  I'm wondering if SPDIF is the
way to go or not.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy (lspci reports: Multimedia audio
controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)) that has an optical SPDIF
output, but I can't seem to find any good resources as to whether this
will be supported under Linux or not.  Anybody with experience on this?

Also, I'd welcome any discussion as to whether SPDIF is even "worth it"
in the first place.

Thanks!

--
Cole Tuininga <colet at code-energy.com>