[OT] DVDs: Does "region zero" work in reverse?

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Mon Apr 9 20:48:08 EDT 2007

Ben-

Confirming your remarks, I have learned elsewhere that "region zero" is not
a true region code, but merely the lack of a code.  So my speculation about
a hack-free but all-region DVD reader is moot.

Incidentally, outside computer DVD readers, there are hack-free DVD decks
that are designed to be all-region.  We have one, GIEC GK-3126, simple,
inexpensive, but effective.  It seems to play anything we put in it
automatically.  If any of you are into foreign DVDs, it is available for
about $70 (including shipping!) from www.yesasia.com located in Hong Kong.
They do have fancier decks at higher prices.  Incidentally, they also have
an enormous selection of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean movies, and are
extremely reliable and speedy at delivery.

The one drawback to the GIEC deck is that the S-VHS output seems to be wired
differently (but uses the same mini-din connector), so we are using VHS
until we get around to patching up a special cable.

Dave E.

PS: see
http://giec.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008804407032/Homepage.htm for
some information on the GEIC company and current products.