[DLSLUG-Discuss] DLSLUG Notes 5-April-2007: Todd Underwood on ZFS

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Apr 9 10:28:06 EDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> Great write-up, thanks, Ted.
>
> On Apr 8, 2007, at 13:15, Ted Roche wrote:
>
> >  Todd expressed the
> > opinion that running on Solaris or OpenSolaris is likely the best
> > current solutions.
>
> Following up on Todd's lament about the lack of anything useful in
> Solaris (agreed - I'm a SunFreeware.com refuge from a former life) I

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Solaris is lacking?

Solaris is missing many things that are easily available in Linux.  Sun has
added stuff to Solaris (Java Desktop aka Gnome, SSH, apache, apache2) and
has the Software Companion CD that adds alot more stuff to put it in
/opt/sfw (sudo, Samba, gcc 3.4.x).

SunFreeware is much less needed then in the past with Solaris 10.
http://www.blastwave.org is an alternative to SunFreeware that installs into
/opt/csw.  It has a neat pkg-get command that will download and install
dependecies ala apt-get and yum.

With all of that, sure, more stuff is ported to Linux, especially drivers.
I suspect things like OpenSolaris, ZFS and Dtrace will attract more
development and help the situation.

I've been running a Solaris 10 files server with ZFS for awhile now.  It's
running Galleon to act as a Tivo repository.  I can convert Tivo files to
mpeg.  ffmpeg can convert stuff to the Tivo.   The only thing I'm really
lacking is something to combine multiple mpegs into a DVD for
archiving/viewing on the road.  But then I haven't been happy with Linux
there either.