Making Debian ignore a drive

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 09:59:51 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 22:18 -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:

> Will you please set you mail client to wrap at 78ish characters?  All
> you e-mail comes through as one long line.

Sorry about that. I was using Comcast's webmail client. I didn't know it
didn't wrap lines....

> IPMI can usually be disabled in the BIOS.  If FC5 installs "correctly"
> you might want to see how they're figuring it out, or ask on the FC
> forums/mailinglists, etc.

I don't want to disable IPMI. I need IPMI to continue to work. I just
need the Debian installer to ignore any drive that isn't directly on the
SCSI bus. I'll ask around on the FC lists and see if they can shed some
light on it.

> I think I have some system with IPMI capability at work, I'll try to
> remember to look at this tomorrow.  I know none of them have the USB
> thingy installed by default though.  Btw, what kind of system is this?
> Name brand, like Dell or HP, or something else? Have you asked the
> official hw support channels for help?

The servers are Intel Langley NEBS compliant carrier servers. The HW
vendor is pretty much useless outside of the hardware. I may just have
to continue to re-configure GRUB after the install. It seems like Debian
is being too thorough. It sees hardware that others just ignore.

Thanks,
Kenny