Making Debian ignore a drive

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:02:51 EDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
>   Call me silly, but isn't IPMI connected to the SCSI backplane?

  Um... I don't think so.  I've certainly never seen it show up on the
actual SCSI bus.  I think it uses one of the various "small bus"
interfaces -- SMbus, maybe?

  IPMI does offer chassis management functions (like fan and
temperature monitoring), which might include stuff on or near the SCSI
backplane.  (There is a SCSI standard for that stuff, too (SES -- SCSI
Enclosure Services), but not everything uses it.)

  Keep in mind also that many drivers present their API using the OS's
SCSI subsystem, because SCSI is pretty much the universal I/O model
for everything these days.  So just because the kernel is calling it
"SCSI" doesn't mean it actually is SCSI.

-- Ben