NCShows, Rockingham Park, Saturday, April 14th

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 16:05:24 EDT 2007

Ted Roche wrote:
> Anyone planning on going to the computer show this Saturday at
> Rockingham Park? It's $6 admission, but there's a $1 coupon on their web
> site at http://www.ncshows.com.
>
> Anyone been to the show before? Worth going? Good stuff cheap? Pointers?

I thought they had given up the shows years ago.  I may have lost the URL,
but I stopped seeing ads in the newspaper too.  Perhaps they're trying for
a comeback.

A lot of vendors, often run by orientals (I suspect getting stuff
from cousins in Taiwan).  Good source of odd and obsolete parts, but not
as odd and obsolete as Hosstraders!  You can get everything from prebuilt
systems to pins to insert in RS-232 shells.

Knowing what you're looking for and what you're looking at is important if
don't want to be stuck with something with fatal design flaws or can't
work with anything except a CPU that is no longer made, but you can buy one
at the next fair.  A lot of the vendors have small stores in the general
area and will provide post-sale support, at least for system-level stuff.

That was then, I suspect now is similar.  Good way for a geek to spend
a Saturday AM, good way to see what sort of stuff is available.

  -Ric Werme