Increasing occurrence of platform problems (was: slow last 128MB of RAM in a 2GB system?)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 20:01:51 EDT 2007

> The limitations of the circa 1982 BIOS are really starting to
> poke though in places, and the edges are quite sharp.

The early PeeCees came with the entire BIOS source code listings
printed in the user manuals; I just recycled a bunch of old ones
and was reading through some of it again so the true horror
of it is once again fresh in my mind.  That was some of the
most idiotic, amateurish, dumb-assed, clueless, ham-fisted,
pessimized and (therefore) buggy code you'd never hope to see.
So, naturally, it became the Industry Standard.  And I've heard
that one of the primary culprits^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hauthors was...
Peter Norton, who later went on to make millions by selling
the Norton Utilities.