mythtv continued...

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Apr 15 22:02:46 EDT 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:45:04 Bruce Labitt wrote:
> > Oh, and what sort of "problem" are you observing at boot time?
>
> I get an error that is related to alsa and modems?  How can I capture
> the messages that scroll by during the start of various services?

Things like that are typically either logged in /var/log/messages, or
available in the output of the dmesg command.

> >> The second is the remote.  I have a streamzap and was able to find the
> >> lirc.conf file for it.  I don't know how, or where to place the file so
> >> that lirc can find it.  The lirc pages assume you build it yourself.
> >> They say it will ask you for these extra files when it is run the first
> >> time.  When I downloaded lirc from the yum repository and run it it
> >> doesn't ask for the configuration file.  Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > It should be /etc/lircd.conf. Then you'll need a file
> > /home/<username>/.lircrc (or /home/<username>/.mythtv/lircrc, and/or
> > symlink the two together) that maps the remote presses to functions
> > and/or keyboard key presses to send to the apps you're trying to control.
>
> Can you provide an example of the symlink?  Say I have files
> /home/myth/.lircrc and /home/myth/.mythtv/lircrc , how are they linked
> together?  The man page doesn't have an example of usage.  What about
> permissions?  I would guess that user myth and mythtv would need to be
> able to read the files.
>
> Is the symlink done as $ ln -s .mythtv/lircrc .lircrc  ?  I pulled that
> from http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/tips.php

Yes, exactly like that, assuming the command was run from within your home
directory.

> Right now lirc.conf has -rw-r--r-- and
>           lircrc    has -rw-rw-r--

Permissions look fine, but I repeat: the daemon config file needs to be named
lircd.conf, not lirc.conf, and placed in /etc/.

> The part that confuses me is (besides everything) is how does lircd even
> know about these files.  Also how does myth know where to look for these
> files?  Is there a setup file for either myth or lircd that needs to be
> run?

Nope, myth is built to be lirc-aware, and just knows to look in those spots
for lirc config files.

One thing that we haven't yet addressed... What lircrc file are you using, and
have you made sure the button names mapped within it actually match the
button names given in the lircd.conf file you found? That's another big key
to getting it working...

> Thanks for your help so far!

No problem, hth.

--