auto-rebuild RAID mirrors

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:35:56 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> > I'm just having trouble with the premise that nobody's tried this
> > yet, as it doesn't seem all that awful hard and it does seem awful
> > useful.  So, usually that means I'm missing something (often obvious)
> > and that it's a Bad Idea.  But I haven't figure out yet what that
> > might be.  Criticisms required.
> > Sorry for the on-topic post. ;)
>  I recall doing some poking around to something simular to this, and
> the best I recall is SUPPORT_RECONSTRUCTION being built into the
> kernel.  This was SEVERAL years ago, I have no idea what the current
> state of this kernel capability is.

  Hrm, apperently, this is all gone in 2.6, sorry for pointing the
wrong way.  The entire md.c was split up into it's own directory.  I
wonder if there is a way to permanently attach a given drive to a RAID
array, so it remains there if it's present or not.  You're right, I'm
suprised there isn't more on this online.  It's a GREAT idea to mirror
a local drive over an external mass storage drive.

--
-- Thomas