auto-rebuild RAID mirrors

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Apr 19 07:13:40 EDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 11:12, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I used to use the attached script.  Note that it USED to work,
> but I haven't tested it on recent systems.  I originally wrote
> it on RHL9, and I think I updated it for FC1, but I dont think
> I've tested it more recently than that, so YMMV.

Cool, looks like it might need updating for mdadm.conf rather than
raidtab but it should be a good start.  Ideally neither would be
required but I haven't yet figured out the part about reading the
RAID header from member disks for autodiscovery.  I'll post back here
when I get something working.

> This script assumes RAID1 and matching drives (not raid 10).  It also
> assumes IDE, not USB or SATA.

Should be easy enough to handle the virtual SCSI stuff anyway (my USB
drives pretend to be SCSI).  For RAID-10, that's RAID-0 over RAID-1
members, so just getting the RAID-1 drives online is all I really
need, the RAID-0 aspect should be running already.  I'll make sure it
ignores RAID-0 for the issue of reconstruction, as that's largely
meaningless.  I've been sufficiently warned away from RAID-5 not to
need it personally.

> But hopefully it'll at least give you some clues if not a working
> rebuild script..
>
> It's in PERL.

Fantastic.  I'll poke around CPAN and see if anybody has released
modules for any of the above tasks.

-Bill

-----
New Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/