SOHO Email Hosting or Alternatives

David J Berube djberube at berubeconsulting.com
Tue Apr 24 11:00:19 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I'd like to recommend a Cpanel or DirectAdmin based web host option -
you can get email hosting with nearly any spam filters, web based
account administration, forwards, mailing lists, and more at nearly any
price point - some even as little as five or ten dollars a month. The
control panel interface is typically very easy to use, and will manage
your DNS without a problem. It's basically point and click, and most
webhosts will have a few webmail clients for you to use as well. Control
panels are not as flexible as having root access, true, but nearly all
common situations are covered by them - if you need to run a cluster of
Mongrel web apps with CPU-heavy ffmpeg processes running in the
background, you might need to do your own sysadmining, but for a mail
server, you should be all set with Cpanel, Directadmin, H-sphere, et al.

In fact, the web hosting industry is hugely competitive and over
saturated, and virtually any webhost should be able to take care of most
of the situation mentioned here. For simple mail hosting, I wouldn't
bother with a VPS - a virtual web host is a simpler, cheaper solution.

(Frankly, I personally prefer dedicated hosts anyway - VPSes are
typically oversold and usually, at least in my opinion, you get less
bang for your buck. Of course, you can't get a useful dedicated machine
  for less than $80 or so, even from a budget provider like HiVelocity
or LayeredTech.)

I get my web hosting recommendations from webhostingtalk.com, and for
what it's worth, I've had great experience with hostmatters.com.

Take it easy,

David Berube
Berube Consulting
djberube at berubeconsulting.com