Pentium 805D has an interesting surprise

Bob King bob.king.1138 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:14:05 EDT 2007

During the Xen discussion at MerriLUG, it was mentioned that the Xen
implementation on FC6 required PAE on the cpu. I knew that my two Linux
boxen at home did not support VT<X>, so I checked the processors for the PAE
flag.

My Xeon system had PAE and also supported hyperthreading, which was hardly a
surprise.

However, when I checked my Pentium D 805 system, it showed PAE and HT as
well. I new the 805 was a dual-core, but was surprised to see the HT flag. I
cannot find anything on Intel's websites that talk about HT support, nor
does the bios for that systems motherboard support it for me to be able to
test it. My initial attempts at googling for info have been inconclusive.
Most references to the cpu flags are discussing other flags, not the 'ht'
flag which is shown but not explicitly discussed.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this? If the cpu really
supports hyperthreading then I might want to invest in a new mobo for that
box.