Pentium 805D has an interesting surprise

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Apr 25 22:46:46 EDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 22:24, Paul Lussier wrote:

> <bmcculley at rcn.com> writes:
>
>> Actually it looks like the newer Xeons (dual and quad cores) don't
>> support HT.
>>
>> I googled and found this comment:
>>
>> "Hyperthreading is only on the NetBurst based 50xx Xeons - the Core2
>> based 51xx Xeons do not support hyperthreading"
>>
>> The same is apparently true of the 5300 quad-core Xeon.  So much for
>> my hope that the new 3GHz eight-core MacPro would hyperthread to
>> give 16 virtual CPUs :-(
>
> How does one tell wether the Xeon is NetBurst 50xx-based, or Core2
> 51xx-based, or 5300-based?

Should be able to tell for the most part based on cpu family, model
and stepping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procfs#.2Fcpuinfo

(as well as core count and common sense)

Based on that data, I was able to verify that my dual dual-core
system is indeed an older netburst 5000-series, not a 5100 series.
Oh, and quad-core chips are of the 6/15/x variety as well.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com