MS Services for Unix permission problems

Star nhstar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:20:51 EDT 2007

On 4/27/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:

> For various reasons I'm trying to get Microsoft Services For Unix's (SFU)
> NFS Server setup so a unix system can mount files on the PC.  I have Linux
> and Solaris NFS clients to play with.
>
> On Solaris I get this error:
> NFS access failed for server blahblah: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> /net/blahblah/NFS: I/O error
> total 1
>
> Linux gives this:
> ls: /net/blahblah/nfs: Permission denied
>
> I'm using IP addresses here.
> SFU is set to allow anonymous and root access
>
> Permissions on visible from the unix side are 777
>
> I've run wireshark on the Linux side and see the ACCESS reply is 0x00
> (deny all)
>
> Any one else have to work with SFU?

I've had problems with this in the past, and it has something to do with the
NTFS file-system permissions...  I gave up and flipped it to FAT32 and have
been happily using it since, though my space requirements are minimal.  I'm
thinking that it ~may~ be necessary to give full permissions to the Everyone
group or anonymous or some such.

~ Star