[GNHLUG] DLSLUG: Tomorrow - Usable Web Applications with Rails andAJAX

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Aug 1 23:50:54 EDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 18:00, Flaherty, Patrick wrote:

> Is this presentation going to be records or released at all? I can't
> make the trip, but I'm interested.

Lots of the talk is about user interface design, and onscreen demos,
code walk-throughs, etc., so does it make any sense to record some
audio, since the 'podcast' edition won't be given much consideration
(as in clarifying what's on the screen, etc.)?  A professional
presenter might think to do that, but that's not our m.o..

I did a video recording of a meeting once (~2 hours).  It took
something like 10 hours to edit, balance, normalize, gamma-adjust,
figure out compression settings, upload, burn to DVD, etc. and then
maybe 4 people took a look at at least part of the video, and the
quality was still only mediocre.  Statistically, everybody who was
interested drove up to the meeting.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, but that we need to recognize that
such things are real work (volunteers are welcome) and that it has to
be worth doing.  People who know what they're doing are also welcome
- maybe there are easier ways to accomplish the same ends, but I
doubt we're going to see a professional camera operator with real
lighting and RE20 mics at a LUG meeting anytime soon.  It would be
cool if there was a technology solution, but I'm not aware of any.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/