Tacoma Narrows bridge

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Fri Aug 3 10:30:51 EDT 2007

Bill Sconce wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:06:23 -0400
> "Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you build a bridge, and you
>> do not expect it to move, and then see that it *does* move, that
>> should be a red flag, I would think.
>>

> Indeed you would.

Red flag goes up, engineer applies brakes, but train keeps moving.

Given some recent events at a client, I'm coming to the conclusion that
politics has a lot of weight, but not much mass.

What I'm saying is in these bridge/shuttle/war situations, the
inclination is to stop things immediately, but the person making the
decision doesn't stop due to all the problems stopping would cause. And
besides, "we really don't know what will happen; maybe it will work out".

Sorta like depending on miracles.

Maybe there really is a god, she's just overworked. :-)